Monday, February 28, 2005

Heelspurs Forum

Posted by Jill H. on 2/08/05 at 08:47

Tim,

Do you like your z-coils? I have had PF for 11 months - bought a pair of z-coils when me foot was still really bad even to walk a block. I didn't wear them much at that time, but am thinking about trying them again. I have made progress that I can walk around the block and am a little scared to try something else. Just wanted to get your feel for them. Thanks

Reply to Message # 168739
Re: z-coil shoes
Posted by Tim M. on 2/09/05 at 16:28

Jill:

It's ALWAYS good to go slow whenever you're trying something new.

I've had PF for almost 25 years. I used to wear these hard orthotics made out of an orange plastic. They were great, until I broke one of them (it snapped right in half) on a backpacking trip with the Scouts. I had to hike out of a desert canyon with it taped together with adhesive tape. I was in agony.

Then, as I was getting used to my new orthotics, and I was favoring my bad foot, I rolled my ankle moving a piece of computer equipment at a client's office. MORE pain in the same foot!

My wife had cut an article out of the newspaper, almost a year before, about Z-Coils. She pulled the article out and scolded me for not looking into them. I bought a pair of the black, Freedom 2000 athletic-type Z-Coils and within a few weeks of wearing them (with an ankle brace for the bad ankle) my pain was virtually gone. I added a pair of the Desert Hiker Z-Coil boots and could stop wearing the ankle brace after a couple of months. I was going to get back to backbacking this last fall, but a different set of personal problems has kept me sidelined. This spring I hope to get back to hiking, much to the joy of my wife.

Here are a few tips. There are supposedly 31 different adjustments to the springs, so if they don't feel just right get back to the store where you bought them (they can adjust for heavy over-pronation, different length legs, etc., etc.). They can replace the coils with lighter or heavier springs, depending upon your weight and walking style. When I first started wearing them, I missed the feel of the support of the orthotic in my arch, so I bought some over-the-counter insoles called the Miracle 2oz (I think they're from ProFoot) and they felt just fine, I don't wear them anymore.

Again, go SLOW and hopefully the Z-Coils will work well for you. Good luck.

Reply to Message # 168819

Click title for more

No comments: